Civic Engagement and Community Service:
An important function of a public university is to facilitate the development of engaged citizens. Therefore, one of the hallmarks of the University Honors Program is the manner in which it emphasizes civic engagement, volunteer service, and leadership. Through partnerships with various campus organizations, including Associated Students, Inc. and Student Community Services, the Honors Program promotes active student participation in service projects and community events. Students volunteer their time, share their knowledge and expertise, and develop important leadership skills while engaging in unique service-learning Honors courses, Honors Student Board activities, and co-curricular "theory-to-practice" experiences.
"Our focus is not only giving back but truly reaching out to different areas in the San Luis Obispo community."
- Courtney Cape, Honors Student Board Community Service Chair 2013-2014
Recent Honors Service Activities:
- Heart Walk, Avila Beach
- Prado Day Center- cooked and served breakfast
- Assisted with local firefighter fundraising event
- Volunteered at Feed My Starving Children event
- Hosted a book drive at Cal Poly
- Development Through Art Program
- Get on the Bus charity event
- Fundraising for Oklahoma tornado victims
- Baked dog treats for Poly Paws
For more information about available community service opportunities, please visit the Student Community Services website or the Honors Student Board page.